The Benefits of Massage Therapy in Baltimore, MD
Massage therapy is the art of treating the body by rubbing, kneading, and manipulating the muscles and tissue. Massage recognizes that the human touch is essential to human life and healing.
Massage is both indulgent and therapeutic and offers many benefits ranging from relaxation to rejuvenation. Some people need a massage for stress relief, while others need treatment for a health condition. Massage can be used as part of a post-operative recuperation plan or to aid the healing of sports-related injuries. It can reduce healing time and promote general well being.
Consider the different health conditions that can be alleviated with regular massage treatments:
- Pain and stiffness
- High blood pressure
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Massage also helps the body function at its best. Massage offers many benefits to overall health and well-being, including:
- Stress relief
- Improved posture
- Improved circulation
- Improved flexibility and range of motion
- Deeper and easier breathing
- Stronger immunity
- Released toxins
- Increased endorphins
- Infant growth
To make the most of your massage, let your Baltimore massage therapist know your goals and discuss which type of massage you may prefer. It may be necessary for us to customize your massage based on your age, condition, or special needs.
Remember, massage treats the body and the mind. Sometimes you may feel emotional while being massaged: that is a normal reaction to a therapeutic massage and can signify the release of significant emotional memories or traumas stored in our bodies. Welcome the release, do not be embarrassed by it or feel the need to explain it to your massage therapist.
There are many different types of massage therapy styles, each offering a variety of pressures and movements. Some massages feature long, smooth, slow strokes, while others use short, rhythmic, choppy strokes. Most massage therapists use their hands and fingers; some use forearms, elbows, or even feet. Massage therapists often use oils and lotions applied to an unclothed body, but the therapist will work with your comfort level in this regard.
At The Healing Path, we offer the following massage styles:
- Thai Massage in Baltimore – This type of massage involves stretching and deep massage. Thai massage on the mat incorporates stretching, palming, and applying pressure to specific points and the energy meridians of the body. It helps relieve sluggish blood flow, muscle pain, and tension. You will leave feeling restored and rejuvenated. Thai massage on the table incorporates blending Thai pressure point massage with the gentle stretching and flow of Swedish and deep tissue massage. The massage therapist targets sore muscles and concentrates on pressure points using strong strokes. You will feel inner calm after this treatment.
- Sports Massage in Maryland – Sports massage is a good choice for those with injuries, chronic pain, or a restricted range of motion. The massage helps prepare the athlete for peak performance by draining away fatigue, relieving swelling, reducing muscle tension, promoting flexibility, and preventing injuries.
- Oncology Massage – The Healing Path offers oncology massage to help those with a cancer diagnosis. Our oncology massage therapists have advanced training from Tracy Walton’s Caring for Clients with Cancer. Massage helps manage the side effects of cancer treatment, including nausea, pain, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. It is a more nurturing type of massage than traditional massage.
- Stone Massage – Using hot or cold stones or a combination of both, stone massage can enhance the therapeutic healing and reenergize the body, spirit, and mind.
- Face Toning – A hydro face toning massage begins with a cleanser and “scrub” applied to the face. The facial muscles are then toned and massaged using special techniques. Warm hot towels applied to the face, neck, and shoulders help melt away stress. With regular treatment, you will notice reduced lines and dark circles and improved skin tone.
- Deep Tissue Massage in Timonium, MD – Deep tissue massage focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue. It aims to release chronic patterns of tension in the body using slow strokes and deep finger pressure on contracted areas. It also helps to break up and eliminate scar tissue.
- Myofascial Release – Myofascial release is a highly specialized stretching technique that applies gentle, non-invasive pressure to the connective tissue encasing all muscles. This helps release tension and buildup. It is a very relaxing form of treatment for a variety of soft tissue problems, and it is a great way to relieve pain from previous injuries or chronic conditions.
- Maryland Prenatal Massage – Prenatal Massage will reduce muscle tension associated with pregnancy, your trained therapist will teach you trimester appropriate positioning with pillows and props and techniques to reduce edema (swelling in legs and feet) and leg cramps.